St. Paul Al-Anon/Alateen Intergroup Minutes
February 8, 2011
Traditions One and Two were read from The
The meeting opened with the Serenity Prayer at 7:15 pm
Introductions and Roll Call (service positions
listed are for the current year
Present were the Intergroup Chair, the Assistant Treasurer and Directory
Chair, the Office Volunteer Chair, the Newsletter Editor and the Group
Liaison Chair. The Treasurer was present by proxy.
The following groups
were represented by Intergroup Representatives (IRs) or Alternate IRs:
Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm Al-Anon, Midway Wednesday 6:30 pm Al-Anon,
Seekers of Compassion Al-Anon, Heights & Lights Al-Anon, Fireside
Al-Anon in Shoreview. In addition there was a visitor who is hoping to
start a group in St. Paul
It was established that a quorum of at least 6 = 5% of all
groups was was presnet
The IR from Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm was nominated and then unanimously
elected 2011 Chair
There were no nominations for Vice Chair.
The 2010 Treasurer was nominated and unanimously
elected for an additional term.
The Alternate IR from Midway Wednesday 6:30 Al-Anon was nominated and
unanimously elected Assistant Treasurer
There were no nominations for Secretary
- It is the Chair's goal that monthly Intergroup meetings will be
held to one hour
- Gratitude Night
- Flyers have been mailed and announcement was posted on the web.
Volunteers are needed to serve as greeters, a time keeper, speaker
introductions, and set-up (at 5:00 pm). Ideas for speaker gifts and
prizes are welcome. No information was given on history or budget for
gifts. A request for an advance of $75 for final expenses moved and
passed unanimously. The Chair reported they would probably come in
about $50 under budget.
- There was discussion of making 5 minute announcement at Gratitude Night
to highlight what Intergroup does.
- A detailed report was emailed to Intergroup members and was
summarized. No one present could answer what the monthly $25 to AFG was
for. The operating account balance as of 2/8/11 was $4,369.23. The
Reserve account balance was $3,280.00. A detailed report is available
- A question was raised about who was eligible to sign checks.
Common practice is the chair, treasurer and assistant treasurer; they
will coordinate signature authorization with the bank
- No one present was aware of a bond.
- There was discussion concerning prompt payment of all bills. It
was agreed such payment was in accordance with our Seventh Tradition
and best practice. Some additional communication may be necessary
between the Literature Chair and Treasurer to assure funds are
available when an order is placed. Consensus was reached that all bills
must be paid promptly (within 30 days or by due date).
- After discussion it was agreed that a newsletter would be produced
in March, July and October this year. The editor will consult with
someone more experienced regarding bulk mailing.
- Group Liaison
- The Group Liaison Chair volunteered to create an email list for
all groups served by St. Paul Intergroup.
- Inside Literature
- The 2010 chair will finish tracking current orders and orient the
new Inside Literature Chair on Feb. 16th.
- Improving communication with groups
- Al-Anon groups created Intergroup to fill a need – Intergroup
exists because of their will. We must find ways to better communicate
our services and our needs.
- Phone party with pizza? If we could find 10 volunteers with cell
phones, and each of those 10 called 10 group contacts, we could confirm
group information and encourage participation between the groups and
Intergroup. This idea was well met – pizza will be contributed
by a member. The location, date and time will be announced.
- We can try to increase awareness of the Intergroup home page on the Twin Cities
Al-Anon/Alateen website. It attempts to communicate with those who
are aware of it by posting Intergroup minutes, agenda, events and
- A regular Newsletter is an important way to communicate with
groups. It can help with letting members know of our financial needs
and the importance of volunteer backing needed to continue
- The Double-Dimer plan will be reinstituted. It fell through the cracks
several years ago. The idea is to encourage individuals who can
afford it to give two dimes ($,20) per day or about $75 per year. This
is addition to contributions from groups. Regular contributions help
greatly with fiscal planning.
Al-Anon / Alateen members are needed to fill the following elected
positions for the remainder of 2011:
Also needed are members willing to serve in the following volunteer
Outside Literature Chair (sales at events)
Volunteer Chair (current chair would like to retire)
Public Outreach Chair
Liaison to the Minnesota South Area
Liaison to Mpls. Information Service
The meeting was adjourned at 8:17 with the Serenity Prayer.