St. Paul Al-Anon Intergroup Business Meeting
Minutes – December 13, 2011
The meeting opened at 7:05 pm with the Serenity Prayer
- Acting Chair and IR, Seekers of Compassion AFG
IR, Alive and Free Al-Anon
Newsletter editor and IR, Heights and Lights Al-Anon
IR, Inner Peace Al-Anon
IR, Serenity Seekers of White Bear Lake Al-Anon
Literature chair and IR, Summit Hill Monday 6 pm Al-Anon
IR, Uptown Monday 8 pm Al-Anon
Assistant Treasurer, webmaster and Alt IR, Midway Wednesday 6:30 pm
IR, Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm Al-Anon
Treasurer and IR, Highland Saturday 10 am Al-Anon Adult Children
Member, Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm Al-Anon
It was noted there was a quorum (at least 5% of 110 groups = 6) of
Intergroup Representatives present.
Concept Twelve: The
spiritual foundation for Al-Anon’s world services is contained in the
General Warranties of the Conference, Article 12 of the Charter. A
member read part of the discussion on Concept Twelve from the Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual. Note was made on what
and where the Charter could be found in the Service Manual.
- The prudent reserve remains the same at $3,280. We are up-to-date
on payment of sales tax. There was about a $280 cash surplus in
November with an operating fund balance of $3,581 on 12/1/11. The
report was approved without objection.
- Assistant Treasurer
- In November there were total sales of $1,278 and contributions of
$1,141. These figures include $324 in sales and $206 in contributions
at Gratitude Night. The report was approved without objection.
- Minutes from the November meeting were approved. A member volunteered
to record minutes for this meeting.
- Office Volunteers
- There were 8 unstaffed days in November. The web chair drew
attention to the page on the website showing times when volunteers are
- Our last Newsletter was in September. We will look to print our next
Newsletter in February or March.
- Web site
- Every attempt is made to keep meeting information up-to-date. We
were reminded to check the Intergroup home page for information about
Intergroup, including meeting agendas and minutes.
- Inside Literature
- Keeping our best sellers in stock is a challenge. Building a
reserve inventory by taking advantage of bulk discounts offered by the
WSO is key.
- Event Sales
- We had sales of about $324 at Gratitude Night and about $135 at
Founder’s Day. We have been asked to sell literature at the District 20
Potluck January 28, 2012.
- Group Liaison
- No report. An IR volunteered to serve as Group liaison in 2012. We
will attempt to increase email communication to save on printing and
- Public Outreach
- No report
- Gratitude Night
- Attendance was about 150, $324 literature sold, $206 in
contributions. There has been no charge for the facility as rent paid
by the weekly group meeting allows use of the church for other
- Book price
- After discussion, it was proposed that the price of the soft cover
edition of How Al-Anon Works be raised from
$5.00 to $6.00. It was explained that, although it is a popular book,
we make only about $.50 per copy when selling at $5.00.
- Group listing
- A proposal was made to list Al-Anon groups in Hudson, WI on the
website and directory as requests for this information seem to be
increasing. Unanimous approval.
- Elections of 2012 officers
- After review of election process and procedure, it was noted that
nominations had been made at the November meeting for Treasurer (member
of Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm Al-Anon) and Assistant Treasurer
(Alternate IR Midway Wednesday 6:30 pm Al-Anon, 2nd term).
- Nominations were made at the December meeting for Chair (Seekers of
Compassion AFG, current acting chair), Vice-chair (IR, Summit Hill
Wednesday 5 pm Al-Anon) and Secretary (IR, Heights and Lights
- A motion was made, seconded and passed unanimously that nominations
cease and a unanimous ballot be cast to elect the slate. The newly
elected chair will appoint willing members to chair the many service
- Discussion continues on the St. Paul Al-Anon Intergroup Bylaws
which have not been reviewed since 2004. There are several issues
needing attention/update. One item of particular note is the stated
requirement for bonding. The potential for breach of anonymity in the
event of loss vs. standard business practice is being weighed. While
our bond has lapsed, it was noted our liability insurance is paid up.
Careful review will continue. No changes are to be made without
notification to all groups in our service area.
- An audit of 2011 finances will be arranged by the newly elected
chair. The audit committee is to be composed of three Intergroup
- Reserve (ample/prudent)
- We currently have about 3 months reserve on fixed expenses but may
want to target reserving up to 6 months. Continued development of
clearer financial tracking and budgeting are ongoing.
The meeting adjourned with the Al-Anon Declaration around 8:00 pm.
Edited for the web 29 December 2011