St. Paul Al-Anon Intergroup Service Meeting
Minutes – February 14, 2012
The meeting opened at 7:00 pm with the Serenity Prayer
- Chair, IR for Seekers of Compassion AFG
Vice Chair, IQR for Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm Al-Anon
Treasurer, Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm Al-Anon
Assistant Treasurer, Alternate IR for Midway Wednesday 6:30 pm Al-Anon
IR for Midway Wednesday 6:30 pm Al-Anon
It was noted there was not a quorum (at least 5% of 110 groups = 6) of
Intergroup Representatives present.
Tradition 2 and Concept 2
There were readings on both.
- The Chair discussed the 2011 audit meeting occurring after the
- Vice Chair
- No report
- The secretary said she would start a three ring binder containing
the minutes and handouts from the Intergroup meetings as part of the
- The Treasurer reviewed the January budget. A large payment was made to
the WSO. There was a title change to the budget from Cost of Sales to
the new name Cost of Materials. Denise handles the expenses whereas
the Assistant Treasurer handles the income for Intergroup.
- Assistant Treasurer
- The Assistant Treasurer reviewed the January income from sales and
contributions. There was extra income received from the sale of
literature at the district potluck. To keep it simple it was discussed
to put the budget in dollar amounts in the minutes.
- Event sales
- The chair said that 35 books totaling $540.00 were sold at the
district potluck. It was a good event.
- Group Liaison
- The Group Liaison chair will send an Intergroup letter inviting new
groups to Intergroup including Intergroup business cards. She will try
to visit more groups to invite them to come to Intergroup meetings or
volunteer at the office.
- Liaison to Minnesota South Area
- The chair attended the February Folderol in Mankato. She had
prepared an Intergroup poster which was displayed there.
- The Literature chair is on vacation; when she comes back she
will place a new big order.
- For the new newsletter the chair said only two officers and committee
chairs had given personal data as to why they chose to participate in
their current role in Intergroup. More officers and committee chairs
need to give their input still to the newsletter editor.
- Office Volunteers
- There is virtually no coverage of the office on Wednesdays. More
volunteers are needed since some volunteers go south for the winter.
Check the web page (www.al-anon-alateen-msp.org/pages/OfficeVolunteerInfo.html) and
contact contact the Office Volunteer Chair if you are able to
- Speaker Chair
- The Speaker Chair is working with with a former Speaker Chair
regarding the need for speakers.
- Web site/Directory
- The web chair reported the web site is up to date. The 2000 and
2004 bylaws are already posted on the web although without a link on
the Intergroup home page. He plans to put up such a link soon and hopes
to post earlier versions the bylaws. It was discussed if he could put
a note on the office volunteer web calendar to let office volunteers
know to call the Office Volunteer Coordinator instead to get the most
current needs for the office to be covered. This is needed since the
web calendar is often
not completely up to date.
- 2011 Audit meeting to be held after the Intergroup meeting.
- Cretin-Derham Hall School requested a speaker on Alateen. A
member volunteered to go and was planning to take an Alateen member.
Unfortunately, the invitation was cancelled because of a scheduling
- Bylaws review
- One issue in the Bylaws review has to do with whether check signers
should be bonded or not. Bonding can create an anonymity issue if a
claim ever has to be made. According to the current bylaws, the check
signers are supposed to be bonded but they are not currently. A letter
will be sent out to the groups for their input to see if the bylaws
should be changed so this is not required
- Reserve (ample/prudent)
- The reserve account is better now than it has been, but the goal is
to have it large enough to cover expenses for six months.
- Open service positions
- It was discussed how to let people know about the open service
committee chair positions. These are chairs for Alateen, Archives,
Liaison to Minnesota South Area, Public Outreach, Institutions, and
The meeting adjourned with the Al-Anon Declaration at 8:00 pm.
Edited for the web 13 March 2012