St. Paul Al-Anon Intergroup Meeting
Minutes – September 11, 2012
The meeting opened at 7:05 pm with the Serenity Prayer and Introductions.
- Chair, IR Seekers of Compassion Al-Anon
Alternate Chair, IR Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm Al-Anon
Assistant Treasurer, Midway Wednesday 6:30 pm Al-Anon
Literature Chair, IR Summit Hill Monday 6 pm Al-Anon
Group Liaison Chair, IR Inner Peace Thursday 11 am Al-Anon
Speaker Chair, Fireside Al-Anon
IR Fireside Al-Anon
IR Your Are Not Alone Al-Anon
It was noted a quorum (5% of 111 groups = 6) of Intergroup Representatives
(IRs) was present.
- Fellowship Weekend Hospitality Suite expenses for food were
approximately $135 with $55 in contributions.
- Vice Chair
- Annual Gratitude Night flyers (Nov. 10) were made ready for
mailing. The theme will be “ Name That Tune” and speakers
have been arranged. A decision was made not to provide child care this
year due to liability and expense issues.
- Minutes from the August meeting were approved without objection. The
chair will continue oversight of secretary responsibilities until such
time as a candidate is elected to serve out the remainder of this
- She was not present but a report was handed out.
- Assistant Treasurer
- The Assistant Treasurer gave an overview of both income and expense
reports in the absence of the Treasurer. Both reports were approved
without objection. It was noted that our reserve fund remains unchanged
and contributions continue to trend stable while increasing from recent
- Event sales
- Upcoming events are MN South Area Assembly (10/6), Gratitude
Night (11/10) and Founder’s Day Weekend (11/25). Also
noted was the District 20 annual potluck in January.
- Group Liaison
- She raised the question about what, if anything, could be done when
group meetings use outside literature or conduct meetings that do not
comply with the practice of our Twelve Traditions. It was clarified
that Intergroup is not a policing agent. As individual members, we use
our own judgment as to whether or not to confront practices we find
harmful to Al-Anon as a whole.
- Liaison to Minnesota South Area
- The Chair will attend Minnesota South Area Assembly on October
- Orders are being made about every 2 weeks and we are continuing to
build our inventory to accommodate general group needs and upcoming
event sales. An inventory of medallion needs is in process.
- No report. It was noted we are hoping to publish another newsletter
by the end of this month. All were encouraged to submit sharings
specific to their service experience.
- Office Volunteers
- We have an updated list of office volunteers numbering 23 at this
time. There have been 3 new members trained in the past month. Note was
made of the need for Home (Remote) volunteers to take calls forwarded
to them after business hours. Contact Judy (952-920-3961) at the
Minneapolis Information Services for further information/training.
- Public Outreach
- We have been invited to participate with a table at the Health and
Wellness Fair sponsored by the Hamm Clinic, NAMI and Landmark Center on
- Speaker Chair
- He reported that St. Paul Intergroup and the Minneapolis
Information Services are cooperating in filling requests for
- Web site/Directory
- He encouraged all to visit the Intergroup Home Page
(www.al-anon-alateen-msp.org/pages/SPIGHome/) for information about
Intergroup meetings, events, service opportunities and more!
- Questions and concerns
- See the Group Liaison Report above
- We now have insurance covering general liability, business
inventory and equipment for the office.
- Spring Open House
- Due to time constraints, the issue was tabled.
- Bylaws review
- A review of a By-Laws draft took up a substantial portion of our
meeting time. Overview of consensus agreement by members present at
Intergroup meetings these past months were presented. A 2/3 vote of
approval after at least one month notice is needed by Intergroup
Representatives to amend the by-laws. The two substantive remaining
- 1. Whether or not to include language specific to responsibilities
for officers and committee chairs as an appendix to the by-laws or
refer such inquiries to documentation updated as needed and kept in the
office. Because the by-laws are reviewed for amendment every 3 years,
it was suggested service positions were too fluid to be constrained or
misrepresented in detail included in the by-laws document. Previous
appendices were noted to be as long as the by-laws themselves and very
- 2. The issue of whether or not to require a bond to cover
replacement of stolen funds by elected officers and/or other check
signers. The primary issues for consideration on this topic are
standard business practice vs. the expense and potential for individual
anonymity breach at the public level as well as the possibility of
bringing the Al-Anon name into public controversy by activating a claim
for loss. The draft proposal would state “all may be bonded” rather
than “all must be bonded.”
- After discussion there was a motion made and seconded “That
the proposed draft be circulated to all groups and a vote be called for
at the November 13th meeting.” This notification is in keeping
with current by-laws which call for “written notification to all groups
of pending changes.”
- Note: The current By-Laws (2004) are available on our website. Go
to www.al-anon-alateen-msp.org/pages/SPIGHome/SPIGBylaws.html. A
decision will be made by current officers about whether the draft
proposal needs to be printed and mailed to all groups or if
notification might be made in the upcoming newsletter which would
direct members to the website for review.
- Reserve (ample/prudent)
- This is ongoing.
- Open Secretary and Service Committee positions
- Due to time constraints, this issue was tabled.
The meeting adjourned with the Al-Anon Declaration at 8:20 pm.
Edited for the web 13 September 2012