St. Paul Al-Anon/Alateen Intergroup
July 9, 2013 Meeting Minutes
The meeting was convened at 7:00 pm with the Serenity Prayer.
- Chair, Inner Peace Thursday 11 am Al-Anon
Treasurer, IR Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm
Assistant Treasurer, IR, Midway Wednesday 6:30 pm Al-Anon
Vice Chair, IR, Uptown Tuesday 6:30 A
Literature Chair, IR, Summit Hill Monday 6 pm Al-Anon
IR, Inner Peace Thursday 11 am Al-Anon
IR, Breakfast Club Too Al-Anon
It was noted we had a quorum of Intergroup Representatives (6 of 110) to
conduct substantive business.
There were readings on Tradition 7 and Concept 7.
- 1. Upcoming events
- Districts 19 – 23 are hosting a Sponsorship Workshop August
10 at St. Clement’s Church. We have not been asked to sell
- Fellowship Weekend will be August 30-31 at the Double Tree Park
Place Hotel in St. Louis Park. It is our turn to sell literature
there. We have the responsibility for the joint Intergroup,
Information Services and Minnesota South Area hospitality room
from Saturday noon until closing Saturday evening.
- A member summarized his contact with a social worker at Ramsey
Junior High in St. Paul. Someone will talk there about Alateen in
the Fall. It is possible a new Alateen group might be formed.
- Our October 4th Step Workshop is in an early planning stage.
No date has been finalized but it will probably be a one day two
or three hour event on October 12 or 19.
- Gratitude Night is also in an early planning stage for
- An IR reported that AA District 15 in Washington County
would have a booth at the Washington County Fair in Lake Elmo,
July 31 – August 4. In addition to AA pamphlets there would
be some Al-Anon pamphlets. She is hoping for Al-Anon volunteers to
help. There followed some disussion about the possibility of
confusion about whether Al-Anon was separate from AA. The
Directory Chair offered to provide a list of Washington County
- 2. HazelFest
- An IR reported that she had attended HazelFest, an event
celebrating recovery and sponsored by Hazelden. She passed out some
pamplets as was discussed at the June meeting. She will take the
remaining pamphlets to the Washington County Fair.
- 3. Newsletter
- The chair provided a outline of possible content for the
Newsletter. It included a possible outline of resources for the
- 4. Resources for the hearing impaired
- Intergroup received a larger than usual contribution contribution
from a group with the suggestion that it be spent to aid the hearing
impaired. We will look into getting an ASL interpreter for Gratitude
- 5. WiFi router
- An office volunteer commented that some office volunteer would find
it helpful if there were a WiFi router to provide internet connection
for a smart phone or tablet. He had purchased a low end router and
would be willing to install it.
- It was moved, seconded and voted that he be reimbursed for the
purchase and should install the router. It will be password protected,
- She reported she was struggling with writing an article for the newsletter.
- Vice Chair
- She outlined her ideas for food in the Fellowship Weekend
hospitality room. For Saturday lunch she is thinking of pita quarters
or tortilla wraps with sliced meat, veggies and chips. For Saturday
supper she is planning vegetarian chili made with bulgar with chips
and green salad. Beverages will be bottled water and lemonade. She
will need crock pots and utensils. Some were offered. Also pitchers
or dispensers for lemonade will be needed. Tables will be needed. We
will have more plans at the August meeting.
- Gratitude Night will be November 9 at the Presbyterian Church of
the way in Shorewood. We have an AA speaker but still need an Al-Anon
- In the absence of the secretary, the minutes of the June meeting
were reviewed. It was moved, seconded and voted to accept the minutes
- The Treasurer summarized the June report. Expenses were $2,690,
including $1,747 for literature. Income was $2,352 including $810 in
contributions and $1,548 from sales including sales tax. For the
month, income fell short by $338.
- It was moved, seconded and voted that the Treasurer’s Report be
- Assistant Treasurer
- He summarized the details of sales and contributions. Literature
sales totaled $1,359 and $79 worth of medallions were sold.13 groups
contributed $734 and 3 individuals contributed $75.
- It was moved, seconded and voted that the Assistant
Treasurer’s Report be accepted.
- There was no report on progress. Articles are still needed.
- Speaker Chair
- No report.
- We were reminded to look at the Intergroup home page and check the
events page regularly.
- Renate reported about recent price changes. A substantial shipment
of literature was expected shortly..
- Group Liaison
- This position is open.
- Event Sales
- No report. We will be selling literature at Fellowship Weekend.
- Liaison to Minnesota South Area Assembly
- No report. The Area World Service Committee (AWSC) will meeting
August 3 in Owatonna.
The meeting adjourned at 8:00 pm with the Al-Anon Declaration.
The next meeting will be August 13 at 7 pm at the Griggs Midway building.
Edited for the web 29 July 2013