St. Paul Al-Anon/Alateen Intergroup
Minutes of Intergroup Meeting October 8, 2013
The meeting was convened at 7:00 pm with the Serenity Prayer.
- Vice Chair and acting Chair, IR, Uptown Tuesday 6:30 pm A
Treasurer, IR, Summit Hill Wednesday 5 pm
Assistant Treasurer, IR Midway 6:30 pm
IR, Inner Peace Thursday 11 am Al-Anon
Acting Speaker chair, IR, Fireside Al-Anon
- 1. Upcoming Events
- a. 4th Step Workshop
- This is coming up Saturday October 12 at the Recovery
- We will be selling the specific pieces needed – Paths to Recovery, Blueprint
for Progress, How Al-Anon Works and Alateen’s 4th Step Inventory. Someone volunteered
to pick up and return the literature.
- The vice chair distributed the agenda for the workshop.
- Refreshments: A volunteer will bring fruit tray, cheese and bread.
- The church will be available at noon. The Treasurer will send
a check to pay for the space.
- b. Gratitude Night
- This is on track for November 9 at Presbyterian Church of the
Way in Shoreview.
- We need to inventory the supply of plates, etc. A member from
Fireside Al-Anon which meets at the church will set
up a microphone. It will again feature a Name That Tune
- Someone volunteered to do decorations for 12 round tables and
to handle literature sales.
- The church has electric cords and coffee pots.
- Beverages: A member will get 3 cases of water and another will get
5 cases of pop and one pound each of regular and decaf coffee. We
will need name badges.
- The member from Fireside Al-Anon will get anything not yet
gotten by the end of October.
- We will pay $75 to church rather than have the event officially
an event of Fireside Al-Anon which meets there.
- 2. Office issues
- Currently the following positions are unfilled: Chair, Event
sales, Office manager, Archives, Chair, and Liaison to Minnesota South
- We were reminded that we will be needing officers for 2014. Both
the Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer have served longer than two years
and sill rotate out. The November meeting is the time for nominations
with elections to be in December.
- 3. Need for People
- There was considerable discussion with relation to the small number
of people involved in Intergroup. Several times this year there was
not a quorum and there have been unfilled leadership positions.
- It was suggested that a letter be sent to all groups outlining the
situation and reminding them that Intergroup might have to shut down
without more participation. The acting Chair said it needs to be positive but
express the fact that there is a dire need.
- Someone shared that in the past there had been discussion about the
desirability of consolidating with Minneapolis Information Services.
Perhaps it is time to restart the discussion. He thought it would
have to include provision for a literature depot in St. Paul, but one
costing less and with scaled back hours.
- 4. Copier replacement
- Discussion on this was postponed.
- Vice Chair, Acting Chair
- Included in the discussion of the 4th Step Workshop and Gratitude
- No report.
- Her report was not brought to the meeting.
- Assistant Treasurer
- He summarized the details of sales and contributions. September
literature sales totaled $1,694 and $65 worth of medallions were
sold.10 groups contributed $450 and there were $53 in individual
contributions, most in the form of contributions to the hospitality
room basket at Fellowship Weekend. In addition, Intergroup received
$518 from Gopher State Roundup. This was part of the surplus Gopher
State Income derived from Al-Anon registrations.
- No report
- Office Volunteers
- No report, although it was pointed out that only 4 days
were unstaffed in September.
- Speaker Chair
- The current speaker chair is temporarily unable to handle the job.
The former Speaker chair has agreed to take up the slack.
- Web site/Directory
- We were reminded us to look at the Intergroup home page
(www.al-anon-alateen-msp.org/pages/SPIGHome) and check the events page
- No report
- Group Liaison
- Event Sales
- Liaison Minnesota South Area
The meeting closed at 8:05 pm with the Al-Anon Declaration.
The next meeting will be November 12 at 7 pm at the Griggs Midway building.
Edited for the web 17 October 2013