St. Paul Al-Anon/Alateen Intergroup
Minutes of Intergroup Meeting January 14, 2014
The meeting was convened at 7:00 pm with the Serenity Prayer.
- Chair, IR, Uptown Tuesday 6:30 pm A
Co-Secretary and web chair, IR Midway 6:30 pm
Assistant Treasurer, IR, Inner Peace Thursday 11 am Al-Anon
It was noted that a quorum (5% of groups, that is, 6 or more) was not
present so no substantive business could be done.
There were readings on Tradition 1 and Concept 1.
- 1. Questions/Concerns
- There was considerable discussion about the need for quickly
getting out a newsletter, even though no one
as yet is willing to serve as Newsletter editor for the year. The
Chair offered to put one together and get it printed.
- Among items for possible inclusion in the newsletter are the
- A letter from the chair, emphasizing the need for more members
willing to take an active part in Intergroup service.
- An article about the website; The web chair prepared one last Spring but
it was not used.
- A list of contributing groups in 2013. The immediate past
assistant Treasurer said he would put one together.
- A brief “year in review” article. The
co-treasurer saud he would will try to put one
- A brief review of the new workbook Reaching for Personal Freedom
- Information about volunteer opportunities
- It was proposed that an appeal letter be included with the
newsletter. the co-secretary will try to prepare a draft quickly. The
Assistant Treasurer suggested that AA Intergroup might be able to give
us a better price on printing than OfficeMax or Kinkos.
- 2. Additional Nominations for 2014
- There were no nominations for Vice Chair, the only unfilled officer
- 3. Elections
- With no nominations and no quorum, there was no election
- 4. Open Service Positions for 2014
- The Assistant Treasurer is willing to be Office Manager and was
immediately appointed. Positions that remain open are chairs for
Newsletter, Group Liaison, Event Sales, Alateen, Archives. and Public
Information. The Liaison to the Minnesota South Area position is also
- 5. Telephone and Internet
- The web chair reported on an offer from Integra, our phone and internet
provider, for an improved level of internet service which is currently
at the lowest speed offered. The quoted price is competitive with what
we are currently paying, but does not include taxes and fees. He has
asked for a sample bill including such fees but none has been
- 6. Office copier
- The co-treasurer reported he had seen copiers at OfficeMax that might be
adequate to replace our aging copier and that might be affordable. He
will try to get more information for the March meeting.
- No specific report
- The minutes of the December meeting were approved unanimously.
- Although the Treasurer was not present, she had provided a report.
It showed a balance of $6,937 in the checking account and $5,000 in our
prudent reserve Revenue for December included $793 in literature
sales, $81 in medallion sales, and $831 contributions including $100
from individuals. Expenses included $1,526 for literature and $61 for
medallions, $755 office rent, $127 telephone and internet and $150 to
Minneapolis Information Services for our share of the website and for
answering our phones when our office is closed. For December expenses
exceeded revenue by $837.
- Assistant Treasurer
- The past Assistant Treasurer provided information for the entire
year. December was down in both sales and contribution, probably
because of weather and holidays. For the entire year, literature sales
totaled $22,203, medallion sales totaled $679, sales tax received
totaled $1.743, group contributions totaled $9,093 from 56 groups and
individual contributions totaled $845 from 6 individuals, excluding
“keep the change” contributions
- No report, but see above under business.
- Office volunteers
- No report, although it was pointed out that January will probably
have only 3 days unstaffed
- The web chair reported he is considering separating out groups in suburbs
from groups in Minneapolis and St. Paul to reduce the maximum number of
groups on pages.
- No report
- Office Manger
- She has restocked manila folders and separators for the office
- The web chair reported that we now have a previously owned Windows
7 computer thanks to a gift from an Al-Anon member. We do not have
working copies of Microsoft Office on the computer, but do have Open
- Group Liaison
- Event Sales
- Liaison Minnesota South Area
The meeting closed at 8:05 pm with the Al-Anon Declaration.
The next meeting will be February 11, 2014 at 7 pm at the Griggs Midway building.
Edited for the web 5 February 2014